Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

Rejoice and ring the bells!


There will come a day when the gloominess of motherhood falls upon me and not even the light of her smile will penetrate the darkness.  But it is not this day.  There will come a day when the weight of the world burdens me to the point of crippling, but it is not this day.  There will be day when the word ‘Mom’ will strike my years with the sharpness of a thousand tiny shards of glass.  But it is not this day.  For today is the day that my daughter used the potty…all day.  Today is the day she is no longer a baby.  She is a child!
Ok…so I’m being melodramatic.  But that tiny girl has fought me and her little pink and white musical toilet for the better half of this year.  She hated sitting on it.  Getting her to do it was torture.  She would cry and fall on the floor.  She would close it and push it away.  Once I sat her on it and she was being so good I left the room.  Came back to find her standing on it brushing her teeth.  This has been a grueling and bloody battle from which we both emerge scarred. But I will tell you this.  Victory is mine.
I finally took the advice of a friend and just stopped putting a diaper on her.  This has been something I was reluctant to do because, who wants to sign up for cleaning up pee all day?  We woke up on Monday and I introduced her to underwear right before her Cheerios.  She was excited.  So I kept reminding her that she needs to tell me when she has to go.  Well, it was not a perfect day by any means but she did tell me.  She would tell me after she already started going in her pants but we would make it to the potty to get the majority of her evacuation inside.  We went through five pairs of underwear that day.  We had one accident on the kitchen floor and two on my bedroom rug.  I am now a professional at removing pee from any surface.
She was rewarded throughout the day with candy treats.  I’ve had a bag of dollar store toys and candy for quite a while.  She raided it for a couple of the toys while I was out one day.  She’s sneaky like that.  I let her keep them being the softy I am.  She spent Monday racing to the bathroom and eating candy bracelets.  In addition I painted her nails and spent some extra play time with her.  
Day two was even more satisfying.  She woke up and immediately asked for the potty.  She went and got to have cookies with her Cheerios.  I’m not proud…just desperate.  She was on the ball all day…not one falter.  No cleaning urine from the floor or scrubbing it out of a rug.  Only went through two pairs of underwear today.  It was glorious.  I’m beaming.  Do you know how many times she’s been told she can sleep over a relatives house as soon as she’s potty trained?  I will be knocking on doors with bags packed pretty soon.  Don’t doubt me.
No more fucking diapers.  No more wipes.  They have created a hole in my wallet since day one.  They are expensive.  And forget about trying to use the cheap ones. You just end up going through more of them.  This is a great day people.  Rejoice with me and be happy.  For I am now diaper free and all the world is mine.

No comments: